5 Frequently Asked Questions About Passport Renewal In The Country

5 Frequently Asked Questions About Passport Renewal In The Country

5 frequently asked questions about passport renewal in the country
Renewing your passport might have been a bit of a hassle in the past, but it has become a lot simpler today. Thousands of post offices in the country accept passport renewal applications, and the processing time is around six to eight weeks. Remember that you may go for passport renewal only if you have an existing passport and are eligible to travel by air. A passport card is different from a passport book as the card is only for travel by road and sea to certain locations. Let’s take a closer look at what you should know before you get your passport renewed.

What is the eligibility for renewing your passport in the country?
To get a U.S. passport, you need to be a citizen by naturalization or should have been born in the country. You are allowed to go for passport renewal only if you fulfill all of the following criteria:

  • The passport must be issued to you after the age of 16.
  • Your passport should not be more than 15 years old.
  • Your passport should not be tampered with, misplaced, or stolen.
  • In case of a legal name change post the issuance of your previous passport, you should have a documented proof for your new name.
  • If any of the above conditions are not met, you will not be eligible for passport renewal. The only option, in that case, will be to use Form DS-11 and apply for a new passport.

How can you renew your passport if you are eligible?

  • If you are in need of your renewed passport quickly within two weeks or less, you will need to apply to get your passport renewal expedited, and this entails an additional charge.
  • Call the National Passport Information Center (NPIC) to set up an appointment at a Regional Passport Agency. You may either call a number and make an automated appointment or use the online passport appointment system. Remember to keep a proof of immediate travel required and your extra fee ready, along with some other documents.
  • If you are planning to travel after three weeks or later, you may send an application by mail. If you reside outside of the country or Canada, simply contact your U.S Consulate or embassy near you.

What are the documents required for passport renewal?

  • You will need a duly-filled DS-82 form. This form is available online as well as at the regional passport facilities. You may either take a printout and fill it by hand or you can fill the form online and then take a print. Applications cannot be submitted online.
  • You will also require a passport-size photo keeping in mind the requirements listed on the website, along with the payment of fees for renewal.
  • Your most recent passport, along with a copy of your marriage certificate, if applicable, that has your latest name will also be needed.

What are some tips that you should keep in mind while renewing your passport?

  • You should ideally begin the renewal process nine months before your passport expires.
  • To avoid any hindrance to your travel plan, look up the rules in various countries as some nations and certain airlines require passports to remain valid for up to six months after travel.
  • Apply for a 52-page passport if you travel frequently by checking the box at the top.

How can you apply for an expedited renewal service?

  • You may apply for an expedited renewal service if you’re traveling as early as within 24 to 48 hours in the event of a serious illness or a death in the family.
  • Alternatively, you are also eligible for this express service if you submit proof of travel within two weeks for an international trip.
  • In order to avail of the expedited service, you must call NPIC and make an appointment at a passport agency. You may use the online appointment system or simply call for an automated appointment.
  • The expedited service costs an extra $60, along with delivery charges.

You must keep the aforementioned points in mind while applying for the renewal of your passport.

Ask Your Questions

Submit a Question You Would Like Us To Answer