Everything you need to know about buying the right types of truck bed covers
A truck bed cover is an incredible accessory which protects your vehicle as well as storage items. Although picking the right type of truck bed cover is not easy as they come in various kinds and are offered by numerous brands as well. Therefore, before shopping for truck bed covers, here are some important factors that you need to be aware of. These will help you pick suitable options for your vehicle.
What are the advantages of installing a truck bed cover?
- Protection from the weather – The most apparent advantage of getting a truck bed cover is that it acts as a shield against all kinds of weather such as snow, rain, or direct sunlight. It protects both the truck bed as well as the elements stored in it.
- Security – Leaving your truck bed exposed puts your possessions at risk. Getting a truck bed cover can help you evade any theft occurrences.
- Customizable – Since bed truck covers are a popular accessory with several truck owners, there are a variety of designs and colors you can find. If you wish, you can even customize the vehicle to enhance the look of your vehicle.
- Added functionality – If you are a frequent outdoor traveler, then certain bed truck covers support portable roofs.
- Improved gas mileage – As the truck bed cover seals the truck, it minimizes the disturbances which help prolong the gas mileage.
What are the different types of truck bed covers?
- Rolling – With a comfortable design, this sort of cover easily rolls back along the rails on the truck rim. According to your preferences, you can have complete or partial access to the items placed in the truck. Since it is a roll-up cover, it usually made with soft materials which are compatible with any type of weather. However, you can find hardcover variants as well.
- Hinged – If you are looking for a customizable alternative, then a hinged truck bed cover could prove to be a marvelous pick. They function as a hood of the car, hovering from the tailgate while remaining secure in the bulkhead area. Typically, it is designed with hard plastic or fiberglass, and it can be painted to match the color of the truck.
- Folding – Like the rolling variants, folding truck bed covers are effortless to use. They usually have three folds, so you can open the lid as wide as you like. It is made with both hard and soft materials facilitating excellent security and weather defense.
- Retractable – This type of truck bed covers are becoming increasingly popular, as they pull back into the canister. You have to operate this variant by using a small remote control. They are usually made from aluminum, vinyl, or polycarbonate material.
Which are the popular truck bed covers?
- Heavy Duty Roll-Up Soft Tonneau Cover
- Gator Tri-Fold Tonneau Truck Bed Cover
- TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
- Retrax PowerTrax Pro Tonneau Cover
- SNUGTOP SnugLid
- Premium Tri-Fold Tonneau Bed Cover
- Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
- BAK RollBak Series 3 Retractable Tonneau Cover
- Truxedo LoPro QT Roll-Up Tonneau Cover
- Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover
What should you consider when buying a bed truck cover?
- Type – Firstly decide the type of truck cover you would like to use, i.e., rolling, hinged, folding, or retractable. For instance, if you are specifically looking to enhance the look of your truck then you should consider retractable or hinged models. Similarly, if you want something simple and functional, then a folding or a rolling variant would be sufficient.
- Fit – The truck bed cover that you are planning to buy should fit your truck perfectly. Moreover, if it has a customization option you should face no qualms about the fittings.
- Budget – Consider the kind of budget you are willing to invest. Usually, hard covers are more expensive than the soft ones.
- Usage pattern – Do you need a truck bed cover only for occasional use or for daily use? For example, if you only need it for exceptional situations then you can get soft covers which can be removed and maintained efficiently.