What to know to get the best river cruise deals
A river cruise allows you to explore small towns and spectacular scenery while sailing through multiple rivers. It is undeniably an elegant way to travel from one city to another.
In the last few years, there has been a surge in the popularity of river cruises across the nation. As a result, there is fierce competition among river cruise lines and third-party websites to attract customers. This competition has benefited travelers, as they can get heavy discounts while booking for river cruise deals. Be it shore excursion rates or meal charges, you can get discounts and save up on some serious money.
However, to be able to score an excellent deal on river cruises, it is imperative to be aware of certain things. Here, we have rounded up some things that you must know to get the best river cruise deals.
What is the right time to book a river cruise to get the best deals?
- River cruises can be booked up to 18 months in advance.
- Unlike ocean cruises, river cruises tend to get filled quite early.
- To be able to book a cabin of your liking and get the itinerary that you desire, it is wise to book early.
- People who book early get to enjoy extra perks such as a discount on meal, drinks, and shore excursion charges.
- For flexible travelers, last-minute booking can help score incredible deals. At times, due to cancellations and to fill up spots, river cruise lines offer last-minute deals that feature the best discounts.
Is booking a river cruise deal at the last minute worth it?
- Booking a river cruise at the last minute may seem risky but has its own perks.
- Various renowned cruise lines slash their rates just a few days before the travel date.
- Travelers get to enjoy great deals and discounts on various activities (shore excursions) and services (complimentary food and drinks).
- Last-minute deals are mostly available for budget-friendly ones and not for the first class or luxury river cruises.
- Last-minute deals are ideal for travelers who are flexible with the itinerary and type of accommodation.
- If you do not want to take a risk, it is best to book river cruises in advance.
How can you get the best river cruise deals?
- Majority of the American river cruise lines and travel agencies run exclusive deals and special offers throughout the year.
- Some cruise lines offer exclusive deals for first-time cruisers.
- Frequent river cruisers can make use of their loyalty points to get great deals.
- Subscribing to the river cruise lines’ newsletters is a tried-and-tested method of getting promotions- and deals-related information in your email inbox.
- Keep checking deal sites like groupon.com that frequently publish promotional codes and feature a variety of exclusive deals on river cruises across the country.
- Check the social media platforms like Twitter to stay updated with the ongoing promotions to get discounts on river cruise deals.
- Surf the web for riverboat cruise packages that include cruise fares, airport transfer, and tour charges as well as airfare. These packages can help you save tons of money on your entire riverboat cruise vacation.
Which is better: River cruise travel agent or online booking?
- River cruises can either be booked online or through travel agents.
- River-cruise enthusiasts often have a tried-and-tested method of booking so that they can score the best deal possible.
- Both methods, that is, online booking and booking through a travel agent, have their own pros and cons.
- Booking through a travel agent can definitely make the whole process a hassle-free one; however, it may be that you’re unable to find a reliable travel agent in today’s time, and also, this method may cost you more money.
- Booking online may require a great deal of research, but it will surely help you find an amazing deal.
- Keep checking the cruise line websites and third-party booking sites to stay updated with the latest promotions and discounts to be able to book online without any hassle and secure the best river cruise deals.
What are the best riverboat cruises?
Riverboat cruises offer an excellent way to explore the small towns, natural wonders, and coastal cities while sailing on multiple rivers. Here are some of the best riverboat cruises (in no particular order) that are worth going for:
- New York’s Hudson River Valley
- St. Paul to St. Louis
- Memphis to New Orleans
- The Islands of New England
- Columbia to Snake Rivers
Hope this article helped you out.